I thought I would start sharing my
favorite movie scenes. I’ll begin with some cinematic magic, the Define Dancing
scene from Disney Pixar’s Wall-e. Visually inspiring, this waltz through space
is an achievement in both aesthetics and emotion. I challenge you not to smile
through this entire clip. There is more meaning in these three minutes of
animation than there is in every moronic MTV reality show combined. The lack of
developed dialogue by the two protagonists is wonderfully refreshing. The
contrast between a filthy abandoned earth and the beautiful black frontier of
space is stark but pleasant. Thinking of the plot and lack of dialogue I am
reminded of a symphony, prancing around a central tune with intent. In fact, I
would compare it directly to Fantasia, which is another visually inspiring
Disney creation. Walt Disney was obsessed with Fantasia –he worked tirelessly
within his studio for years to direct a film of insurmountable significance,
both visually and musically. I think Wall-e does Walt Disney justice –if Walt
made a movie today, it would look eerily similar to Wall-e. The spunky little
robot is like the original Mickey Mouse. John Wayne would crack a smile for him.
Wall-e uses a fire extinguisher to propel himself through space so he can “dance”
with his lady-in-red, Eve. When they hugged I could have cried. When she gives
him a little static shock he seizes up and tumbles over backward like a little
boy fainting from his first kiss. Inexplicably, non-human characters are always
more human than anyone I know. They have pure
emotion and genuine personalities. Wall-e is like a little kid on Christmas in
this scene, but at times he becomes exceedingly lonely and even nostalgic. A
nostalgic robot! How delightful. Meanwhile, the captain becomes fascinated with
earthly subjects and two passengers discover human contact; two seemingly
unrelated but perfectly complementary scenes. The passengers look out on Eve
and Wall-e performing a magnificent ballet through space. The choreography is
astounding, and it is highlighted as the captain utters two words: define
dancing. I think I understood then, that I was watching them dance with each other like animals do.
Like puppies playing for the first time. I am
simply unable to describe the pure emotion and pristine beauty of this scene.
It has to be the most heartwarming moment in Hollywood.
No comments:
Post a Comment